This post contains affiliate links. See my disclosure about affiliate links here.
Who doesn’t love a good margarita. They are so refreshing and fun during the summer. But what I love more is being able to just make one at home. I’ve never been overly fond of sweet and sour mix. It’s very sweet and just too pungent for me. So I made a recipe without a mix and created this fresh lime margarita recipe.
Because I use fresh lime juice one of my favorite tools for my kitchen I have it this citrus press. You get so much more out of each lime, it’s a lot easier and no seeds get in. I suggest you get one because I use mine so much!
I am not a huge fan of salt. Gasp I know. But it is important to have salt with your Margarita. It helps balance the flavors. So I do highly suggest you salt the rim of the glass (run a lime around it first and then roll it in salt) but if you really don’t want to salt the glass then add a pinch of salt to the drink mix. It will make a huge difference in the taste of the drink. I promise just do it.
Fresh Lime Margarita Recipe
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 3-4 limes using a citrus press)
- 1/4 of water (or more to taste)
- 1 oz silver tequila
- 1/2 oz orange liqueur (I use Cointreau)
- 1 tablespoon agave (or more to taste)
- Kosher salt for garnish
- Using a cocktail shaker add in lime juice, water, tequila, orange liqueur and agave.
- Give it a good shake. Taste and add more water or agave as needed.
- Run a lime wedge around the rim of a glass and then roll it in the salt. If you do not want to garnish the glass with salt sprinkle a little into the mix. This gives it an important balance.
- Fill the glass up with ice and pour the mix over and enjoy
– if you are like me and love anything bubbly add a splash of sparkling water or even a flavored one to mix it up
-if you don’t want a lot of booze you can sub orange juice for the orange liqueur